Pass Params on Add

Jun 30, 2008 at 10:53 AM
Hi All,

Trying to simply pass parameters to app that will be preserved after addition

tried
apps.facebook.com/myapp/?test=1
apps.facebook.com/myapp/add.aspx?test=1

add.aspx is my post add page, BUT during first add / login the get params GET REMOVED!!! so I cant use invites as I need to :(

How can I do this, hope you can help.

Regards,
Matt
Jul 3, 2008 at 11:01 PM
There are some changes to Facebook.NET that address this and an existing issue as well. Basically, what you would do after amending Facebook.NET in this way is to set the RedirectNext to the URL you want the user redirected to after app add or access authorization. There's a Facebook parameter called "next" where this is stored during the intermediate step.

The Facebook.NET DLLs I'm using have these changes made, but I have no idea when it'll get folded into the actual framework. I've tried to contact Nikhil several times but it's becoming increasingly clear that he's moved on to other things.

Bill
Jul 4, 2008 at 10:39 PM
Thanks Bill,

Will look into those fixes you mentioned, just starting to look into the code in real anger as it looks like may have to update ourselves (a great starting point, so cant complain) as my app grows. 

Matt
Jul 5, 2008 at 11:52 PM

Hi Bill,

Merged code changes in as suggested.

Sadly cannot work out (and believe me I've tried! :( ) when and how to set RedirectNext so that it carries through the initial LOGIN and onto the ADD for my app?

I even tried just setting it in load for my default canvas/callback page in a new test app as follows to see if something got changed/passed through? no joy :( must be missing the point

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)

{

fbApplication.RedirectNext =

"NEXTTEXT";

if (fbApplication.IsSessionCreated == false)

{

return;

}

}

Thanks again,
Matt

Jul 7, 2008 at 9:49 AM
Edited Jul 7, 2008 at 9:58 AM
FYI - I now put it here in callback preload which adds it to login next, BUT this does not persist past login to the add page? will look further, please add any info if it will help

protected

void Page_PreLoad(object sender, EventArgs e)

{

fbApplication.RedirectNext =

"NEXTstring";

Ta,

Matt

Jul 7, 2008 at 9:07 PM
If they're logged in, does it carry through past add? I haven't really worked with the scenario of both unauthenticated and unadded users. Is this really a realistic scenario? If someone gets an app invite, aren't they normally logged in to Facebook?

Bill
Jul 8, 2008 at 5:55 PM
Basic lack of understanding on my part what the login/add relationship is :(
I can get it to go login and add through with some tinkering, but maybe I am looking at it wrong, maybe your will always be logged in??
I will be sending out notifications with custom links in them and was thinking they might end up in an email? can people obtain emails from notifications of due you need a specific email call?
Even so wont facebook make you login anyway, and if so what is the redirect to the login page in our fbapp code for? external apps?

Cheers,
Matt

wcbrown wrote:
If they're logged in, does it carry through past add? I haven't really worked with the scenario of both unauthenticated and unadded users. Is this really a realistic scenario? If someone gets an app invite, aren't they normally logged in to Facebook?

Bill