This project is read-only.

Profile box not showing dynamic content after re-arranging

Apr 28, 2008 at 2:50 PM
I can display some markup as follows

<script runat="server">

protected override void OnLoad(EventArgs e) {
base.OnLoad(e);

FacebookService service = fbApplication.Service;
service.Profile.SetFbml("<fb:narrow><SOME TEXT HERE></fb:narrow>", service.UserID);
}
</script>

This is displayed when I first add the application, but when I re arrange the BOX in the profile, the content is suddenly lost, loading the application page again doesn't readd the content.

whats the problem (also is it possible to programmaitcally set the placement of the box on the profile page)
Apr 28, 2008 at 6:11 PM
Movement within the profile should not affect the cached profile content. I think "fb:narrow" is the key here. Is your app set to use narrow by default? If so, are you moving it to the wide column? If so, then that's the issue.

Also, it is not possible to programmatically set the position of your app's profile box.

Bill
Apr 29, 2008 at 6:03 AM
It was set to use narrow

service.Profile.SetFbml("<fb:narrow><SOME TEXT HERE></fb:narrow>", service.UserID);

I now use fb:wide but the Profile Box still appears narrow on the left column and the content has disappeared, what's the problem?

Apr 29, 2008 at 6:08 AM
This is weird, no matter I use narrow or wide, the profile box appears on the left column with no content but if I drop it to the right column, the content appears, any ideas?
Apr 29, 2008 at 4:48 PM
Why are you using fb:narrow or fb:wide? If you omit those, the content will wrap and flow properly in either wide or narrow. If you must use one of them, then understand that your content will disappear when moved to its opposite type.

fb:narrow http://wiki.developers.facebook.com/index.php/Fb:narrow
"Renders the content contained by the tag only if the profile box is in the narrow column of the profile."

fb:wide http://wiki.developers.facebook.com/index.php/Fb:wide
"The enclosed content appears only when profile box is in the wide column of the profile."

Bill
Apr 30, 2008 at 7:26 AM
my bad, thanks for that.

Couple other newbie questions :)

Why this profile box doesn't show up when my friends view my profile, do they need to install this app?

I'm building an Iframe app, is it better to host it on a public server ?

How to list it on FB App Directory ?
Apr 30, 2008 at 11:23 PM

Why this profile box doesn't show up when my friends view my profile, do they need to install this app?

On the profile page, they shouldn't need to install the app. There are FBML tags that can hide the content but I don't know if you're using them without an example of the text you're inserting. Also, can your friends see the application box itself, just not the content?

I'm building an Iframe app, is it better to host it on a public server ?

You have to if you want it publicly accessible. I think I'm misunderstanding the question.

How to list it on FB App Directory ?

On the application page in the Developers application, right below the title there's a "Directory Status" label that looks something like this:

Directory Status: Not Submitted

Once you have completed your application, you may submit it to our product directory.

The word submit in the previous sentence is a link to submit. You can't submit until you've gotten five Facebook users to install your app. And then it's subject to review. The review is pretty quick.

Bill
May 1, 2008 at 6:18 AM
Edited May 1, 2008 at 6:20 AM
Thanks for the reply,

There are FBML tags that can hide the content but I don't know if you're using them without an example of the text you're inserting. Also, can your friends see the application box itself, just not the content?

Which FBML tags can hide the content ? After your suggestion above, I omitted the fb:wide or fb:narrow and just use Profile.setFBML("SOME OF MY CONTENT", USERID) to show the content, which is fine when I see my profile, but this application box doesn't show up when my friends view my profile and not just the content.

You have to if you want it publicly accessible. I think I'm misunderstanding the question.

No you're right, I meant to host it publicly when I'm done with development, do you recommend any free hoster of FB apps or in general ?

May 5, 2008 at 7:46 AM
Any ideas why my friends cannot see the application box on my profile ?