This project is read-only.

Allowing users to view content without installing the app

Jan 12, 2008 at 12:27 PM
Is there something in Facebook.NET to enable the scenario where you want some pages to be viewable even if the user hasn't installed the app? This is becoming a key scenario since facebook folks are pushing a lot for that: http://www.facebook.com/developers/message.php?id=145.
Ideally there would be a property in the FacebookApplication object to enable this, and then a boolean to know if a session is created or not.
Jan 12, 2008 at 5:24 PM
There's a work item for this - go vote for it and maybe it will get worked on. If you download the source it's pretty easy to make the modification yourself. There's a bit of code in the work item that will help you track down the spot.

It may have been done already; I haven't got the most recent code lately.

The work item is 1799, "allow facebookapplication control to exist when the user has not added the application"
Jan 13, 2008 at 7:16 PM
Thanks jgr4 for pointing out the work item

My vote has been made and I've added a new property to the facebookApplication
Jan 14, 2008 at 10:28 AM
Yes, I did the change myself in the code.
Anyway, I'm still going to add my vote.
Jan 15, 2008 at 9:26 AM

fcharlon wrote:
Yes, I did the change myself in the code.
Anyway, I'm still going to add my vote.

Can you post change in code?

Thanks ahead
Jan 17, 2008 at 4:44 PM
I added a (long) discussion of this to the work item and attached the two code files that I changed to get everything working. Those file started from the 0.3.0.0 release; drop them into that release and compile.

I've got one page that only requires login and others that require an add. I'm also redirecting to the canvas page and preserving a query string parameter from the original link.
Jan 18, 2008 at 10:51 AM
That's right there are two levels of authentication. Basically, if you require neither add or login, you app will be accessible from outside (without beeing logged into facebook), so google would have access to it for exemple. In this case, the UserId property will be empty.