This project is read-only.

Configuration Error

Jan 3, 2008 at 3:25 PM
Edited Jan 3, 2008 at 3:27 PM
I am brand new to .NET so I'm sure this is something really simple that I'm just not getting. I have been mulling over this problem every day, all day for a week and a half. When I go to my facebook application I get an error 500. Then when I look at my default.aspx page directly I get this:

_Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Source Error:
Line 26: </system.web>
Line 27:
Line 28: <facebook>
Line 29: <application name="helloWorldIFrameApp" apiKey="I placed my api key in here" secret="I placed my secret key in here" />
Line 30: <application name="helloWorldFbmlApp" apiKey="I placed my api key in here" secret="I placed my secret key in here" />
Source File: d:\hosting\shannonmosley\f8\web.config Line: 28_
The <facebook> tag seems to be the problem
All I did was download and install the FacebookNET.0.2.1.0.zip and place the example app exactly how it is on my server (including: web.conf, FBML, folder and Bin folder) . Shouldn't it just work? I see that no one else has had this problem but me, so I'm obviously doing something horribly wrong. PLEASE HELP!
Jan 4, 2008 at 8:19 AM
When you created an application in IIS, my guess is you only created a vdir, and not an app. As a result the root of your app is not the same folder as where you placed the example app.

Assuming you're using IIS6, if you right click on the vdir and bring up the properties dialog, make sure you click the Create Application button, and there is an application name specified.
Jan 4, 2008 at 3:26 PM
Thank you very much for answering, but I did not use IIS at all, I just uploaded it to my server using an FTP program. I am using Vista and I finally found out how to access the IIS Manager. I just got it to be able to access my server through my IP address by "New>FTP Site...", but then I am able to access the folder I put on my server directly when I right click and select Browse. When I go to properties there is no "Create" button. I have read a lot of googled pages stating exactly what you told me, so I am sure you are correct, but I do know how to do any of this. Maybe I am missing a step in setting up the application but I have done everything stated in the instructions several times over.