Limit to setFbml markup parameter

Sep 4, 2007 at 4:53 AM
Hi Nikhil,

Firstly I wanted to say thanks for a building a really easy to use library for Facebook fun.

I just wanted to make you aware of a potential problem with SetFBML and the limits of the Fbml markup that is added as a parameter. I am trying to display all custom html in a profile for a news feed. Each item in the feed has a title, date and description. I have a feeling the method in which this parameter is passed back to the Facebook REST client is a GET instead of a POST which explains the limiting of the characters.

Would be great to see you update the library to accommodate for a POST in this situation as Im sure it will make it even better.

Thanks again.
David
Coordinator
Sep 5, 2007 at 1:36 AM
Hmmm... not sure... would have to look to be absolutely 100% sure, but I'd be willing to bet this isn't the case... since the library only uses POST requests to communicate with Facebook.

Does Facebook itself have a limit on the length of the FBML markup?
Sep 5, 2007 at 4:38 AM
I haven't found any documentation that outlines the FBML markup length. I have had similiar issues when writing pure AJAX applications using the GET method.

I was reading in the Microsoft's Facebook Developer Toolkit forums some people having exactly the same issue. They identified the problem as being the GET method and when changed to POST, the problems dissappeared. I cannot see the error returned from the call as it returns a boolean value, but if you were able to open this up and return the full error message from the Facebook REST Client, it may show what the issue is.

Have a go at pushing a load of data through setFBML.

Thanks for responding.
Coordinator
Sep 10, 2007 at 6:21 PM
Its likely you have something else in your FBML that is not supported... the requests are sent out using POST already.